- 1923 - 1975 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Name of creator
The society was formed in Johannesburg in 1923 with the object of forming a nucleus for social intercourse for 'natives' employed on the Witwatersrand. Motto of the society was Stronger in body, mind, spirit and character. Provided recreational, educational and leisure time activities for Black men working in Johannesburg and the reef and also served as a meeting place for Non-White societies and organizations. On 31 December 1971 the centres premises at 3a Eloff Street were closed by the Johannesburg City Council in accordance with the Group Areas Act.
The Executive Committee submitted an appeal through the council to the Minister of Bantu Administration and Development for assistance in establishing of new centre in Soweto but there was no outcome to the appeal.
In 1976 the premises were renovated and were let to the West Rand Areas Bantu Administration Board.
Activities of centre and people of note who supported the centre:
Sports and athletics: Ballinger, W.G.
Educational classes: Bennett, P.J.
First Aid: Bridgman, F.B.
Gamma Sigma debating clicks: Hoernle, R.F.A
Music tuition and eisteddfords: Jones, J.D. Rheinallt
Dramatic society: Phillips, Ray E.
Films: Pim, J. Howard
Guest evenings: Pin, J. Montague
Library-First provided by Transvaal: Rathebe, J.R.
Carnegie Grant and from 1940 by the: Taberer, H.M
Johannesburg Public Library: Taylor, Dexter J., Webber, Walter
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Mr H Montague Pim
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Official records of society.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Copyright Historical Papers Research Archive, The Library, University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa
Language of material