- 21 October 1972 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Name of creator
The Non-Racial Sports History Project was formed in June 2015. Its primary mandate is to record the histories of non-racial sport from the ground up clubs and their administrators and players, provincial and then national ,paying special attention to the role played by women. While our main focus is on the histories of non-racial sport before the unity talks and the advent of democracy in 1994, we are also interested in recording the stories of community sports in all areas but more especially where there was a tradition of non-racial sport before 1994.
We see the project as contributing to the revival of the ethos that characterized the non-racial movement. To this end, some of the main objectives of the project are:
- Revive the concept of community sport (which represents the majority of our population ) compared to professional sport.
- Actively to promote and support the formation of community based sporting bodies.
- Safeguard and secure the future of amateur sport.
- Where there is an interest, to assist in the revival of sporting codes that are currently dormant.
- Where possible to assist those who were active in non-racial sport and who have fallen on hard times.
- To acknowledge the role played by sportspeople for the struggle for non-racial sport
- Finally, to revive the spirit of voluntarism and non-racialism.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Uploaded finding aid
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description control area
Rules and/or conventions used
Level of detail
Dates of creation revision deletion
Digital object metadata