Showing 66 results

Archival description
Anglican Church of Southern Africa (ACSA) Fonds
Print preview View:

6 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Papers of Bp. George Wyndham Hamilton Knight-Bruce

  • ZA HPRA AB739
  • Fonds
  • 1836 - 1980

The Knight-Bruce papers consist of 40 items spanning the years 1836-1950 with the greatest number being on the Bishop's work in Africa, (1886-1894). Perhaps the most interesting item is a polyglot bible, given to the bishop by his wife and carried by him on his African journeys, which contains manuscript notes on the Knight-Bruce family and marginal notes in the Bishop's hand. Another interesting item is a notebook, alphabetically arranged, with the Bishop's bible references.

There are miscellaneous papers e.g, print, but to other members of the Knight-Bruce family such as Sir James Lewis Knight-Bruce, Judge, Gordon Kennett Knight-Bruce, Judge and Acting Chief Justice, Tanganyika and John Horace Wyndham Knight-Bruce, author. The papers were purchased from Peter Eaton.

Anglican Church of Southern Africa (ACSA)

African Bishops

  • ZA HPRA AB742
  • Fonds
  • 1889 - 1934

Calendar.

The letters are interesting, not only giving a good picture of the work of the Anglican church in various parts of Africa but also fore-shadowing some of the political problems which have arisen in Africa such as the racial friction between black and white, the colour bar in South Africa and the church's attitude to it and the question of the native franchise. From the letters it appears that there were problems common to the various dioceses such as the shortage of clergy, need for more money, the importance of educating the African and training African priests and the difficulties of working in vast areas where parishes were scattered.

Anglican Church of Southern Africa (ACSA)

Cathedral Church of St. Mary, Johannesburg records

  • ZA HPRA AB748
  • Fonds
  • 1853 - 1971

The records comprise diaries, minutes, correspondence, memoranda, scrapbooks, registers, press-clippings, legal and ecclesiastical documents, photographs, printed items and plans. These records were transferred to the C.P.S.A. record Library in July 1972 from Darrah Hous, just prior to its demolition to make way for a new block of offices and flats, which is to be built on the same site, adjacent to the Cathedral.

From the records one obtains a clear picture of the beginning of the Anglican church in Johannesburg, of its work and growth and importance in the life of the community. The records contain much on the buying and selling of stands, on the raising and spending of money and on the relationship of St. Mary's with first of all, the Diocese of Pretoria and from 1922 with the Diocese of Johannesburg. There is much on the building, repair and ornamentation of the various St. Mary's churches, the services held, the elections and work of churchwardens and on activities closely linked with the church such as the choir, Church Men's society and the Dean's Shelter for the aged, unemployed and homeless. Closely associated with St. Mary's were might be described as her 'daughter' churches, St. Alban's, St. Cyprian's and St. Saviour's and the records contain information on their beginnings and on the missionary and educational work done at St. Cyprian's for the Bantu and at St. Alban's for the coloured people.

The records also throw light on the history of St. John's College and on the work done at St. margaret's Mission House by the sisters of East Grimstead. Side by side with the records of the church itself go the records of its commercial buildings, first St. Mary's buildings in Eloff Street (built on the site of the first St. Mary's church) and later Darragh House in Plein Street (built on the site of the second St. Mary's church), both of which produced revenue from the rents of offices, flats and shops. There is a great deal in the records on the leasing and upkeep of these buildings.

The records of St. Mary's Church are of interest not only to the church historian but also to researchers enquiring into the history of education, social services and property development in Johannesburg.

Anglican Church of Southern Africa (ACSA)

Grace Dieu Diocesan Training College records

  • ZA HPRA AB750
  • Fonds
  • 1906 - 1969

Records were collected together by the Rev. S.P. Woodfield (Vice-Principal of Grace Dieu 1922-1924, Principal 1924-38 and 1953-1957, now retired to the Mission House, Waterval Boven, E. Transvaal) and presented to the C.P.S.A. Record library, which is looked after by the library of the University of the Witwatersrand, in June 1972. They consist of 1199 items end span the years 1906-1969 with the greatest concentration being between 1906-1939 and consist of a log book, minutes, correspondence, memoranda, notes, printed items, press clippings and photographs. The runs of periodicals have been added to the appropriate section of the C.P.S.A. Record Library (see Appendices l& 2) From the records a clear picture of the origin and development of Grace Dieu emerges, and of the financial problems encountered throughout the years.

Anglican Church of Southern Africa (ACSA)

Provincial Missionary Conference

  • ZA HPRA AB785
  • Fonds
  • 1892 - 1959

All the combined records relating to the Povincial Missionary Conference comprise 540 items covering the years 1892-1971 and are made up of minutes, correspondence, notes and memoranda. They give an interesting picture of the educational and missionary work done by the Anglican Church in South Africa and also illustrate the attitude of the church to the question of race relations and the emergent African nationalism.

Provincial missionary conferences were appointed by Provincial Synod, the organising body of the Anglican Church in South Africa, and the first such conference met in Queenstown in 1892. Succeeding conferences were held at Maritzburg in 1895, Johannesburg in 1906, Bloemfontein in 1909, Johannesburg in 1913, Grahamstown in 1923, Johannesburg in 1928, Port Elizabeth in 1933, Pretoria in 1935, Cape Town in 1936 and Bloemfontein in 1938. A Provincial Board of Missions was founded in 1898 to correlate and unify the various diocesan missions in methods of working, discipline, translations etc., Worked in close conjunction with the Provincial Missionary Conference and from 1939 appears to have taken over their functions. A further provincial body was set up in 1963 called the Provincial Commission for Administering the U.S.P.G. Grant Loan with the task of administering the R460,000 voted to the C.P.S.A. by the United Society for the Propagation of the Gospel, for the building of African and coloured churches in areas affected by the Group Areas Act.

Anglican Church of Southern Africa (ACSA)

Provincial Board of Missions Records

  • ZA HPRA AB786
  • Fonds
  • 1922 - 1960

All the combined records relating to the Provincial Missionary Conference comprise 540 items covering the years 1892-1971 and are made up of minutes, correspondence, notes and memoranda. They give an interesting picture of the educational and missionary work done by the Anglican Church in South Africa and also illustrate the attitude of the church to the question of race relations and the emergent African nationalism.

Provincial missionary conferences were appointed by Provincial Synod, the organising body of the Anglican Church in South Africa, and the first such conference met in Queenstown in 1892. Succeeding conferences were held at Maritzburg in 1895, Johannesburg in 1906, Bloemfontein in 1909, Johannesburg in 1913, Grahamstown in 1923, Johannesburg in 1928, Port Elizabeth in 1933, Pretoria in 1935, Cape Town in 1936 and Bloemfontein in 1938. A Provincial Board of Missions was founded in 1898 to correlate and unify the various diocesan missions in methods of working, discipline, translations etc., Worked in close conjunction with the Provincial Missionary Conference and from 1939 appears to have taken over their functions. A further provincial body was set up in 1963 called the Provincial Commission for Administering the U.S.P.G. Grant Loan with the task of administering the R460,000 voted to the C.P.S.A. by the United Society for the Propagation of the Gospel, for the building of African and coloured churches in areas affected by the Group Areas Act.

Anglican Church of Southern Africa (ACSA)

Provincial Missionary Conference

  • ZA HPRA AB787
  • Fonds
  • 1926 - 1944

This collection contains the records of Binyon, Deaconess Dorothy Clarke and Miss Imray, who reported on initiation rite for girls, including correspondence, notes and memoranda on the proposal to substitute a Christian circumcision school for the African tribal rites.

The Provincial Missionary Conference of 1938 set up the following committee to consider this question which included Father Amor, the Ven. Archdeacon Christelou, the Ven. Archdeacon Stainton, the Ven. Archdeacon Jenkin, the Rev. V.A. Hoddinott and the Rev. Father Rumsey, S.S.J.E. At Provincial Synod of 1939 the matter was discussed and it was decided to consider the question further. On the 18 December 1941 the committee produced a report on the initiation schools, which was to be submitted to the next Provincial Missionary Conference in 1943.

All the combined records relating to the Provincial Missionary Conferencecomprise 540 items covering the years 1892-1971 and are made up of minutes, correspondence, notes and memoranda. They give an interesting picture of the educational and missionary work done by the Anglican Church in South Africa and also illustrate the attitude of the church to the question of race relations and the emergent African nationalism.

Provincial missionary conferences were appointed by Provincial Synod, the organising body of the Anglican Church in South Africa, and the first such conference met in Queenstown in 1892. Succeeding conferences were held at Maritzburg in 1895, Johannesburg in 1906, Bloemfontein in 1909, Johannesburg in 1913, Grahamstown in 1923, Johannesburg in 1928, Port Elizabeth in 1933, Pretoria in 1935, Cape Town in 1936 and Bloemfontein in 1938. A Provincial Board of Missions was founded in 1898 to correlate and unify the various diocesan missions in methods of working, discipline, translations etc., Worked in close conjunction with the Provincial Missionary Conference and from 1939 appears to have taken over their functions. A further provincial body was set up in 1963 called the Provincial Commission for Administering the U.S.P.G. Grant Loan with the task of administering the R460,000 voted to the C.P.S.A. by the United Society for the Propagation of the Gospel, for the building of African and coloured churches in areas affected by the Group Areas Act.

Anglican Church of Southern Africa (ACSA)

Provincial Commission administering the U.S.P.G. Grant Loan, Records

  • ZA HPRA AB788
  • Fonds
  • 1962 - 1971

This collection contains correspondence, minutes, notes and memoranda on the raising and spending of the R460,000 voted to C.P.S.A. by U.S.P.G. to build African and coloured churches and vicarages in areas affected by Group Areas Act.

All the combined records relating to the Provincial Missionary Conference comprise 540 items covering the years 1892-1971 and are made up of minutes, correspondence, notes and memoranda. They give an interesting picture of the educational and missionary work done by the Anglican Church in South Africa and also illustrate the attitude of the church to the question of race relations and the emergent African nationalism.

Provincial missionary conferences were appointed by Provincial Synod, the organising body of the Anglican Church in South Africa, and the first such conference met in Queenstown in 1892. Succeeding conferences were held at Maritzburg in 1895, Johannesburg in 1906, Bloemfontein in 1909, Johannesburg in 1913, Grahamstown in 1923, Johannesburg in 1928, Port Elizabeth in 1933, Pretoria in 1935, Cape Town in 1936 and Bloemfontein in 1938. A Provincial Board of Missions was founded in 1898 to correlate and unify the various diocesan missions in methods of working, discipline, translations etc., Worked in close conjunction with the Provincial Missionary Conference and from 1939 appears to have taken over their functions. A further provincial body was set up in 1963 called the Provincial Commission for Administering the U.S.P.G. Grant Loan with the task of administering the R460,000 voted to the C.P.S.A. by the United Society for the Propagation of the Gospel, for the building of African and coloured churches in areas affected by the Group Areas Act.

Anglican Church of Southern Africa (ACSA)

St Cuthbert's Mission, Tsolo records

  • ZA HPRA AB799
  • Fonds
  • 1876 - 1971

The records illustrate the work done by the S. S. J. E. in the various fields of education, health, translation and evangelising.

Anglican Church of Southern Africa (ACSA)

St. Lucy's Hospital, Records

  • ZA HPRA AB815
  • Fonds
  • 1907 - 1934

The collection contains the records of the St Lucy's Hospital, which was part of the St Cuthbert's Mission.

Anglican Church of Southern Africa (ACSA)

Results 51 to 60 of 66