Mostrar 71 resultados

Descrição arquivística
Anglican Church of Southern Africa (ACSA) Fundos
Previsualizar a impressão Ver:

6 resultados com objetos digitais Mostrar resultados com objetos digitais

Provincial Board of Missions Records

  • ZA HPRA AB786
  • Fundos
  • 1922 - 1960

All the combined records relating to the Provincial Missionary Conference comprise 540 items covering the years 1892-1971 and are made up of minutes, correspondence, notes and memoranda. They give an interesting picture of the educational and missionary work done by the Anglican Church in South Africa and also illustrate the attitude of the church to the question of race relations and the emergent African nationalism.

Provincial missionary conferences were appointed by Provincial Synod, the organising body of the Anglican Church in South Africa, and the first such conference met in Queenstown in 1892. Succeeding conferences were held at Maritzburg in 1895, Johannesburg in 1906, Bloemfontein in 1909, Johannesburg in 1913, Grahamstown in 1923, Johannesburg in 1928, Port Elizabeth in 1933, Pretoria in 1935, Cape Town in 1936 and Bloemfontein in 1938. A Provincial Board of Missions was founded in 1898 to correlate and unify the various diocesan missions in methods of working, discipline, translations etc., Worked in close conjunction with the Provincial Missionary Conference and from 1939 appears to have taken over their functions. A further provincial body was set up in 1963 called the Provincial Commission for Administering the U.S.P.G. Grant Loan with the task of administering the R460,000 voted to the C.P.S.A. by the United Society for the Propagation of the Gospel, for the building of African and coloured churches in areas affected by the Group Areas Act.

Anglican Church of Southern Africa (ACSA)

Provincial Missionary Conference

  • ZA HPRA AB787
  • Fundos
  • 1926 - 1944

This collection contains the records of Binyon, Deaconess Dorothy Clarke and Miss Imray, who reported on initiation rite for girls, including correspondence, notes and memoranda on the proposal to substitute a Christian circumcision school for the African tribal rites.

The Provincial Missionary Conference of 1938 set up the following committee to consider this question which included Father Amor, the Ven. Archdeacon Christelou, the Ven. Archdeacon Stainton, the Ven. Archdeacon Jenkin, the Rev. V.A. Hoddinott and the Rev. Father Rumsey, S.S.J.E. At Provincial Synod of 1939 the matter was discussed and it was decided to consider the question further. On the 18 December 1941 the committee produced a report on the initiation schools, which was to be submitted to the next Provincial Missionary Conference in 1943.

All the combined records relating to the Provincial Missionary Conferencecomprise 540 items covering the years 1892-1971 and are made up of minutes, correspondence, notes and memoranda. They give an interesting picture of the educational and missionary work done by the Anglican Church in South Africa and also illustrate the attitude of the church to the question of race relations and the emergent African nationalism.

Provincial missionary conferences were appointed by Provincial Synod, the organising body of the Anglican Church in South Africa, and the first such conference met in Queenstown in 1892. Succeeding conferences were held at Maritzburg in 1895, Johannesburg in 1906, Bloemfontein in 1909, Johannesburg in 1913, Grahamstown in 1923, Johannesburg in 1928, Port Elizabeth in 1933, Pretoria in 1935, Cape Town in 1936 and Bloemfontein in 1938. A Provincial Board of Missions was founded in 1898 to correlate and unify the various diocesan missions in methods of working, discipline, translations etc., Worked in close conjunction with the Provincial Missionary Conference and from 1939 appears to have taken over their functions. A further provincial body was set up in 1963 called the Provincial Commission for Administering the U.S.P.G. Grant Loan with the task of administering the R460,000 voted to the C.P.S.A. by the United Society for the Propagation of the Gospel, for the building of African and coloured churches in areas affected by the Group Areas Act.

Anglican Church of Southern Africa (ACSA)

Provincial Commission administering the U.S.P.G. Grant Loan, Records

  • ZA HPRA AB788
  • Fundos
  • 1962 - 1971

This collection contains correspondence, minutes, notes and memoranda on the raising and spending of the R460,000 voted to C.P.S.A. by U.S.P.G. to build African and coloured churches and vicarages in areas affected by Group Areas Act.

All the combined records relating to the Provincial Missionary Conference comprise 540 items covering the years 1892-1971 and are made up of minutes, correspondence, notes and memoranda. They give an interesting picture of the educational and missionary work done by the Anglican Church in South Africa and also illustrate the attitude of the church to the question of race relations and the emergent African nationalism.

Provincial missionary conferences were appointed by Provincial Synod, the organising body of the Anglican Church in South Africa, and the first such conference met in Queenstown in 1892. Succeeding conferences were held at Maritzburg in 1895, Johannesburg in 1906, Bloemfontein in 1909, Johannesburg in 1913, Grahamstown in 1923, Johannesburg in 1928, Port Elizabeth in 1933, Pretoria in 1935, Cape Town in 1936 and Bloemfontein in 1938. A Provincial Board of Missions was founded in 1898 to correlate and unify the various diocesan missions in methods of working, discipline, translations etc., Worked in close conjunction with the Provincial Missionary Conference and from 1939 appears to have taken over their functions. A further provincial body was set up in 1963 called the Provincial Commission for Administering the U.S.P.G. Grant Loan with the task of administering the R460,000 voted to the C.P.S.A. by the United Society for the Propagation of the Gospel, for the building of African and coloured churches in areas affected by the Group Areas Act.

Anglican Church of Southern Africa (ACSA)

St Cuthbert's Mission, Tsolo records

  • ZA HPRA AB799
  • Fundos
  • 1876 - 1971

The records illustrate the work done by the S. S. J. E. in the various fields of education, health, translation and evangelising.

Anglican Church of Southern Africa (ACSA)

St. Lucy's Hospital, Records

  • ZA HPRA AB815
  • Fundos
  • 1907 - 1934

The collection contains the records of the St Lucy's Hospital, which was part of the St Cuthbert's Mission.

Anglican Church of Southern Africa (ACSA)

Lesotho Sodepax Commission

  • ZA HPRA AB827
  • Fundos
  • 1970

Lesotho branch of the Committee on society, Development and Peace
"The church and development in Lesotho", report of the Conference at the University of Botswana, Lesotho and Swaziland, 19 June 4 July 1970.

Anglican Church of Southern Africa (ACSA)

Horace William Orford

  • ZA HPRA AB863
  • Fundos
  • 1874 - 1921

List of documents presented to the Archives of the Muniment Room.

Numbers 1-33.

This is interesting material giving the outline of a life purely from official documents, supplemented by references to Crockford (? Orford).

It gives some insight into the legal requirements of a licensed clergyman in the Church of England 1874-1893.

Anglican Church of Southern Africa (ACSA)

Afrikaans Translation Committee

  • ZA HPRA AB914
  • Fundos
  • 1954 - 1971

Berthold, Basil Stanley: Rector of St. Judes, Oudtshoorn 1959 1969, St. Oswalds, Milnerton from 1969.

Anglican Church of Southern Africa (ACSA)

Faculty of Divinity records

  • ZA HPRA AB916
  • Fundos
  • 1876 - 1970

Note books and Registers.

Anglican Church of Southern Africa (ACSA)

Papers of Bp. George Wolfe Robert Tobias

  • ZA HPRA AB934
  • Fundos
  • 1882 - 1970

The papers relate mostly to the life of George Wolfe Robert Tobias (1882-1974). This correspondence gives an excellent description of the Church's work in South West Africa and also of the conditions and customs of the tribes living there, both written and pictorially. The papers also touch on the Kwanyaaa language in which George became so successful. He translated the Prayer Book and produced a hymnal. Ho also translated Hermann Tones 'Kwanyama Ora Emar' from German into English.

Canon Charles Frederick Tobias (ca 1850-1939), George's father, and a converted Jew, in correspondence to his wife, Ethel, also gives an interesting account of life in the field, where he served as Chaplain in the Boer War 1900-1901.

The papers also consist of the skeletal draft of the biography of George Tobias by Rev. Basil I. C. Turvey which contains a vivid description of the life of George and his work on the mission station and the people connected with him and a brief description from the Encyclopaedia of Southern African South West Africa.

Anglican Church of Southern Africa (ACSA)

Resultados 61 a 70 de 71