Mostrando 70 resultados

Descripción archivística
Anglican Church of Southern Africa (ACSA) Fondo
Imprimir vista previa Ver :

6 resultados con objetos digitales Muestra los resultados con objetos digitales

Anglican Canon Law Council Southern Africa

  • ZA HPRA AB3425
  • Fondo
  • 2010-2016

The collection contains records relating to the activities of the Anglican Church of Southern Africa's Canon Law Council. There are legal documents, diocesan reports, minutes of the meetings and correspondence.

Canon Law regulates the internal ordering of the Catholic Church, the Eastern Orthodox and the Anglican Communion. Canon Law is amended and adopted by the legislative authority of the church, such as councils of bishops, individual bishops, the Pope for the Catholic Church, and the British Parliament for the Church of England. In South Africa Canon Law is an Amalgam of Roman-Dutch Civil Law and English Common Law, as well as the Customary Law. Bishops and church leaders should know how to respect and uphold Canon Law and the regulations of the church in all forms. Canon Law should be included in training of the clergy.

Anglican Church of Southern Africa (ACSA)

Papers of Rev. Hopkins Badnall

  • ZA HPRA AB723
  • Fondo
  • 1798 - 1952

Included are diary extracts, correspondence, personal and family documents, notes and miscellaneous papers, press clippings and printed works.

The papers are predominantly of family interest but there are occasional comments of a social or political nature, pertaining to South Africa, and a some concern the Anglican Church in South Africa, including the controversies which nearly split the church asunder such as the Gray - Colenso and Meaman - Williams disputes and the Third Proviso Agitation, all of which played their part in determining the relationship between the Church of the Province of South Africa and the Church of England.

There are a number of interesting documents relating to Badnall's ecclesiastical offices, containing the seals of Bishops Gray and West Jones of Cape Town.

Anglican Church of Southern Africa (ACSA)

Papers of Rev. Frank Herbert

  • ZA HPRA AB725
  • Fondo
  • 1909 - 1970

Consist mainly of notebooks embodying his researches in various fields, mainly history and theology and include 9 notebooks containing extracts from the House of Commons Debates for 1621. There are also letters of Bishop Talbot to his son, probably used by Brabant in the compilation of "N. S. Talbot 1879-1943: a memoir",published in 1949. The papers were donated by the Rev. Brabant just prior to his leaving Africa for retirement in England.

Anglican Church of Southern Africa (ACSA)

Papers of Bp. George Wyndham Hamilton Knight-Bruce

  • ZA HPRA AB739
  • Fondo
  • 1836 - 1980

The Knight-Bruce papers consist of 40 items spanning the years 1836-1950 with the greatest number being on the Bishop's work in Africa, (1886-1894). Perhaps the most interesting item is a polyglot bible, given to the bishop by his wife and carried by him on his African journeys, which contains manuscript notes on the Knight-Bruce family and marginal notes in the Bishop's hand. Another interesting item is a notebook, alphabetically arranged, with the Bishop's bible references.

There are miscellaneous papers e.g, print, but to other members of the Knight-Bruce family such as Sir James Lewis Knight-Bruce, Judge, Gordon Kennett Knight-Bruce, Judge and Acting Chief Justice, Tanganyika and John Horace Wyndham Knight-Bruce, author. The papers were purchased from Peter Eaton.

Anglican Church of Southern Africa (ACSA)

African Bishops

  • ZA HPRA AB742
  • Fondo
  • 1889 - 1934

Calendar.

The letters are interesting, not only giving a good picture of the work of the Anglican church in various parts of Africa but also fore-shadowing some of the political problems which have arisen in Africa such as the racial friction between black and white, the colour bar in South Africa and the church's attitude to it and the question of the native franchise. From the letters it appears that there were problems common to the various dioceses such as the shortage of clergy, need for more money, the importance of educating the African and training African priests and the difficulties of working in vast areas where parishes were scattered.

Anglican Church of Southern Africa (ACSA)

Cathedral Church of St. Mary, Johannesburg records

  • ZA HPRA AB748
  • Fondo
  • 1853 - 1971

The records comprise diaries, minutes, correspondence, memoranda, scrapbooks, registers, press-clippings, legal and ecclesiastical documents, photographs, printed items and plans. These records were transferred to the C.P.S.A. record Library in July 1972 from Darrah Hous, just prior to its demolition to make way for a new block of offices and flats, which is to be built on the same site, adjacent to the Cathedral.

From the records one obtains a clear picture of the beginning of the Anglican church in Johannesburg, of its work and growth and importance in the life of the community. The records contain much on the buying and selling of stands, on the raising and spending of money and on the relationship of St. Mary's with first of all, the Diocese of Pretoria and from 1922 with the Diocese of Johannesburg. There is much on the building, repair and ornamentation of the various St. Mary's churches, the services held, the elections and work of churchwardens and on activities closely linked with the church such as the choir, Church Men's society and the Dean's Shelter for the aged, unemployed and homeless. Closely associated with St. Mary's were might be described as her 'daughter' churches, St. Alban's, St. Cyprian's and St. Saviour's and the records contain information on their beginnings and on the missionary and educational work done at St. Cyprian's for the Bantu and at St. Alban's for the coloured people.

The records also throw light on the history of St. John's College and on the work done at St. margaret's Mission House by the sisters of East Grimstead. Side by side with the records of the church itself go the records of its commercial buildings, first St. Mary's buildings in Eloff Street (built on the site of the first St. Mary's church) and later Darragh House in Plein Street (built on the site of the second St. Mary's church), both of which produced revenue from the rents of offices, flats and shops. There is a great deal in the records on the leasing and upkeep of these buildings.

The records of St. Mary's Church are of interest not only to the church historian but also to researchers enquiring into the history of education, social services and property development in Johannesburg.

Anglican Church of Southern Africa (ACSA)

Grace Dieu Diocesan Training College records

  • ZA HPRA AB750
  • Fondo
  • 1906 - 1969

Records were collected together by the Rev. S.P. Woodfield (Vice-Principal of Grace Dieu 1922-1924, Principal 1924-38 and 1953-1957, now retired to the Mission House, Waterval Boven, E. Transvaal) and presented to the C.P.S.A. Record library, which is looked after by the library of the University of the Witwatersrand, in June 1972. They consist of 1199 items end span the years 1906-1969 with the greatest concentration being between 1906-1939 and consist of a log book, minutes, correspondence, memoranda, notes, printed items, press clippings and photographs. The runs of periodicals have been added to the appropriate section of the C.P.S.A. Record Library (see Appendices l& 2) From the records a clear picture of the origin and development of Grace Dieu emerges, and of the financial problems encountered throughout the years.

Anglican Church of Southern Africa (ACSA)

Provincial Missionary Conference

  • ZA HPRA AB785
  • Fondo
  • 1892 - 1959

All the combined records relating to the Povincial Missionary Conference comprise 540 items covering the years 1892-1971 and are made up of minutes, correspondence, notes and memoranda. They give an interesting picture of the educational and missionary work done by the Anglican Church in South Africa and also illustrate the attitude of the church to the question of race relations and the emergent African nationalism.

Provincial missionary conferences were appointed by Provincial Synod, the organising body of the Anglican Church in South Africa, and the first such conference met in Queenstown in 1892. Succeeding conferences were held at Maritzburg in 1895, Johannesburg in 1906, Bloemfontein in 1909, Johannesburg in 1913, Grahamstown in 1923, Johannesburg in 1928, Port Elizabeth in 1933, Pretoria in 1935, Cape Town in 1936 and Bloemfontein in 1938. A Provincial Board of Missions was founded in 1898 to correlate and unify the various diocesan missions in methods of working, discipline, translations etc., Worked in close conjunction with the Provincial Missionary Conference and from 1939 appears to have taken over their functions. A further provincial body was set up in 1963 called the Provincial Commission for Administering the U.S.P.G. Grant Loan with the task of administering the R460,000 voted to the C.P.S.A. by the United Society for the Propagation of the Gospel, for the building of African and coloured churches in areas affected by the Group Areas Act.

Anglican Church of Southern Africa (ACSA)

Provincial Board of Missions Records

  • ZA HPRA AB786
  • Fondo
  • 1922 - 1960

All the combined records relating to the Provincial Missionary Conference comprise 540 items covering the years 1892-1971 and are made up of minutes, correspondence, notes and memoranda. They give an interesting picture of the educational and missionary work done by the Anglican Church in South Africa and also illustrate the attitude of the church to the question of race relations and the emergent African nationalism.

Provincial missionary conferences were appointed by Provincial Synod, the organising body of the Anglican Church in South Africa, and the first such conference met in Queenstown in 1892. Succeeding conferences were held at Maritzburg in 1895, Johannesburg in 1906, Bloemfontein in 1909, Johannesburg in 1913, Grahamstown in 1923, Johannesburg in 1928, Port Elizabeth in 1933, Pretoria in 1935, Cape Town in 1936 and Bloemfontein in 1938. A Provincial Board of Missions was founded in 1898 to correlate and unify the various diocesan missions in methods of working, discipline, translations etc., Worked in close conjunction with the Provincial Missionary Conference and from 1939 appears to have taken over their functions. A further provincial body was set up in 1963 called the Provincial Commission for Administering the U.S.P.G. Grant Loan with the task of administering the R460,000 voted to the C.P.S.A. by the United Society for the Propagation of the Gospel, for the building of African and coloured churches in areas affected by the Group Areas Act.

Anglican Church of Southern Africa (ACSA)

Resultados 51 a 60 de 70