Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Non-Racial Sports History Project
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
The Non-Racial Sports History Project was formed in June 2015. Its primary mandate is to record the histories of non-racial sport from the ground up clubs and their administrators and players, provincial and then national ,paying special attention to the role played by women. While our main focus is on the histories of non-racial sport before the unity talks and the advent of democracy in 1994, we are also interested in recording the stories of community sports in all areas but more especially where there was a tradition of non-racial sport before 1994.
We see the project as contributing to the revival of the ethos that characterized the non-racial movement. To this end, some of the main objectives of the project are:
- Revive the concept of community sport (which represents the majority of our population ) compared to professional sport.
- Actively to promote and support the formation of community based sporting bodies.
- Safeguard and secure the future of amateur sport.
- Where there is an interest, to assist in the revival of sporting codes that are currently dormant.
- Where possible to assist those who were active in non-racial sport and who have fallen on hard times.
- To acknowledge the role played by sportspeople for the struggle for non-racial sport
- Finally, to revive the spirit of voluntarism and non-racialism.